Marketing and Social Media Assistant Volunteer
The David Livingstone Birthplace exists to create a home for sharing the bold, frank and open accounts of the pioneering life of Dr David Livingstone and his associates, encouraging all voices to be heard, celebrating determination and diversity, and inspiring a world of change.
Ahead of the re-opening of the site we are looking for volunteers to help us with our marketing and social media activities. This will include helping to research our audiences, helping to plan our marketing activity in the lead up to the launch and supporting the team to identify required activities. The social media role will create content for our channels, in-line with the identified themes, and respond to on-line activity. There is an opportunity for two individual roles here – one for marketing and the other for social media – please do state if you have a preference.
Currently Home based, then options for being based at the David Livingstone Trust (DLT) office.
Head of Development / Learning & Engagement Manager.
- Volunteering alongside the DLT team to research, plan and scope the marketing and social media activities to re-launch the Birthplace.
- Preparing content for on-line and social media activities, based on the agreed themes.
- Liaising with the team to source suitable images for online activity.
- Being involved with the team and relevant partner organisations.
Time and Level of Commitment
5 hours a week or more however we are flexible about this.
Key Team Members Support
The Birthplace Project team will fully support the successful applicant(s) and be a point of contact throughout the volunteer placement.
This role would appeal to an individual with:
- Experience and/or understanding around marketing and/or social media.
- Understanding of communicating with some of our core audiences including Blantyre and South Lanarkshire, as well as the domestic and international tourism
- market. Hands on experience of managing multiple social media channels.
- An interest and knowledge of David Livingstone (and the complex histories that are an integral of his story and legacy), and the Blantyre site would be advantageous.
- Ability to undertake research and volunteering tasks independently.
- Skills in areas such as: audience research and visitor studies, social media, collections-based research, marketing, audience development, monitoring and evaluation would be advantageous.
What’s in it for you:
Training - the David Livingstone Trust will provide professional training for the successful applicant(s).
Support - the Birthplace Project team will fully support the successful applicant(s) and be a point of contact throughout the volunteer placement.
Experience - valuable experience in supporting a museum site to maximise the value of the site, museum collection and audience engagement. As a museum volunteer you would be part of a vibrant and exciting volunteer programme and part of the team delivering the Birthplace Project.
Skills development - audience research and visitor studies, social media, collections-based research, marketing, audience development, monitoring and evaluation.
Access to a PC and/or laptop would be required.
To apply and for further information please contact: Grant MacKenzie Head of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The official Volunteer Role Description - Marketing and Social Media Assistant can also be downloaded in PDF format.
Also see Volunteers section.