This is an exciting time to come and join us, as we get ready for the re-opening of David Livingstone Birthplace (DLB) in Summer 2021. Following a three-year refurbishment, we will open our brand-new museum exhibition, shop, and café.
We are looking for volunteers to help in our shop in the role of Retail Volunteer. This is a vital role in supporting the museum and the retail volunteer team will be interacting with the public as the face of David Livingstone Birthplace. Full training will be provided, and volunteers will be able to claim reimbursement for travel.
The successful candidate will be friendly, welcoming, diplomatic and have a passion for the stories and histories relating to Livingstone, his collaborators, and his context.
David Livingstone Birthplace, 165 Station Road, Blantyre, G72 9BY.
- Good oral communication skills and the ability to engage with a wide range of people.
- The ability to provide a welcoming retail environment, maintaining a well-ordered range of products that are displayed in an attractive and appealing manner.
- Confidence and a positive attitude.
- Previous experience in a retail environment would be advantageous, but not essential.
- To sell and promote retail products in David Livingstone Birthplace Shop (EPOS).
- To merchandise products.
- Talking to visitors.
- Collecting feedback from visitors.
- To manage and monitor cash transactions.
- To help with the management of stock and ordering.
Benefits of Volunteering with DLB
- The chance to meet new people and join our community of dedicated volunteers.
- Gaining experience to use on your CV.
- The opportunity to put existing skills into practice and building new skills.
- Reimbursement for travel expenses.
- Full training in customer service, till operation, handling cash and merchandising.
- Contributing to the day-to-day operations of David Livingstone Birthplace.
- Volunteering references.
Minimum 4 hours a week (am or pm) ongoing. Volunteers will be able to choose the day and shift time.
We encourage applicants from all backgrounds, and welcome applications from those living with a disability, people from a BAME background and those who identify as LGBTQI+.
The volunteer recruitment process will involve having an informal chat with the Volunteer and Skills Development Officer and successfully providing two references.
Start date will be the first week in June 2021 (week beginning 31st May 2021).
To register interest and for further information please contact: email@example.com
Please state in your email why you would like to volunteer at DLB and any relevant experience or interests.
Also see Volunteers section.