Support Us And Help Secure Livingstone's Legacy
Did you know that as a charity we rely on donations to operate the Centre?
The David Livingstone Birthplace Project is a charity and the founding purpose of his Birthplace is.
‘To keep forever fresh in the generous heart of youth the name and the story of Livingstone and to make his humble birthplace a place of inspiration’.
This is a purpose that still holds strong today as we continue to be the foremost place in the world where people can learn about and be inspired by Livingstone’s extraordinary life and legacy.
The Trust was established in 1929 to take ownership of Shuttle Row, Blantyre, which is now a category A Listed building, with surrounding Parkland, and a 3000-piece David Livingstone Collection.
David Livingstone Centre
165 Station Road
Please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com if you have any questions.
The Birthplace Project
To ensure that Livingstone’s legacy is protected for future generations we have secured funding for a refurbishment of Shuttle Row, the Cottages and Pavilion.
The project is being funded and supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Environment Scotland and the Scottish Government but we also need your support to ensure that we can secure the long-term future of the Centre and its activities. Further information on the project can be found here.
Your donation will also help us to:
- Deliver the Birthplace Project - which will transform the site and tell the story of Livingstone in a new and engaging format to a new audience.
- Provide educational and outreach programmes to schools, groups and internationally via our on-line activities.
- Support our local community in the South Lanarkshire area through joint events and activities.
- To preserve and manage our collection so that it is easily accessible to individuals, groups and partner organisations, as well as for future generations.
- Develop our international partnerships, specifically in relation to the countries in Africa that Livingstone himself visited including Malawi, Zambia, Botswana and Zimbabwe.
- Deliver our full range of volunteer programmes so that we are providing opportunities for both young and old to learn about and participate in their heritage.
- To maintain our grounds to facilitate health and well-being activities including walking, cycling, volunteer gardening and supporting the local Blantyre community.
We need your support to launch the revamped Centre and to deliver our activities for our local community and the international communities that have benefited from Livingstone’s legacy.