Visitor Experience Volunteer
This is an exciting time to come and join us, as we get ready for the re-opening of the David Livingstone Birthplace (DLB) in Summer 2021. Following a three-year refurbishment, we will open our brand-new museum exhibition, shop, and café.
We are looking for volunteers to join our Visitor Experience team. This is a vital role in supporting the museum and interacting with the public as the face of the David Livingstone Birthplace. The Visitor Experience Volunteers will greet visitors and engage with them in a friendly and informative manner to ensure that they have an enjoyable experience.
The successful candidate will be friendly, welcoming, diplomatic and have a passion for the stories and histories relating to Livingstone, Full training will be provided, and volunteers will be able to claim reimbursement for travel.
David Livingstone Birthplace, 165 Station Road, Blantyre, G72 9BY
Volunteer and Skills Development Officer, Learning and Engagement Manager.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Good oral communication skills and the ability to engage with a wide range of people.
- Confidence and a positive attitude.
- An interest in David Livingstone’s story.
- An interest in bringing history to life and sharing stories.
- Engaging with visitors on the newly refurbished museum and the recontextualized collection and its interpretation
- An ability to engage with potentially difficult topics such as colonial history, Scotland’s involvement in the slave trade and British imperialism.
- A diplomatic approach to dealing with difficult issues and ability to take on feedback, particularly when delivering tours.
- Ability to work alone and with others team members, including staff, volunteers, partners, and community members.
- Operate the reception desk and sell museum tickets to visitors.
- Provide information about the exhibition and activities.
- Deliver guided tours.
- Talk to visitors and answer any queries (in person, online and over the phone)
- Collect feedback from visitors.
- There will also be the opportunity to volunteer in the shop if this is of interest.
A minimum 4 hours a week (am or pm) ongoing. We will seek to accommodate preferences as much as possible, but some flexibility will be required.
The Benefits of Volunteering with DLB
- The chance to meet new people and join our community of dedicated volunteers.
- Gaining experience to use on your CV.
- The opportunity to put existing skills into practice and building new skills.
- Reimbursement for travel expenses.
- Full training in visitor experience and giving tours,
- Contributing to the day-to-day operations of the David Livingstone Birthplace.
- Volunteering references.
We encourage applicants from all backgrounds, and welcome applications from those living with a disability, people from a BAME background and those who identify as LGBTQI+.
The volunteer recruitment process will involve having an informal chat with the Volunteer and Skills Development Officer and successfully providing two references (these can be character, school, work, volunteering).
Start date will be late June (exact dates to be confirmed).
Please state in your e-mail why you would like to volunteer at DLB and any relevant experience or interests.
You can download a copy of this information Visitor Experience Volunteer Role Description (PDF).
Also see Volunteers section.