To support the Maintenance Manger to ensure compliance with all health and safety and legislative regulations associated with the Birthplace Museum including legionella flushing, fire safety checks, emergency light testing to ensure the safety and welfare of members of the public and the team.
Application Closing Date
13 December 2021
The museum and grounds have reopened after a three-year refurbishment programme during which the A-Listed building has been transformed with a brand-new exhibition, which tells Livingstone’s story for a multiple-perspectives approach, as well as a refurbished retail and café offer. This is a major heritage project and will provide the ideal candidate with an exciting opportunity to learn about and contribute to the maintenance and conservation of a historic A-listed building.
- Assist the Maintenance Manager with facilitating the work of external contractors attending site, ensuring they are fully aware of our procedures/risk assessments and permits to work are issued/reviewed where required. To ensure keys are signed out and recovered according to procedures and to maintain security of buildings
- To assist with the Museum’s planned maintenance programme, carrying out repairs and improvement works
- To support the Maintenance Manger to ensure compliance with all health and safety and legislative regulations associated with the Birthplace Museum including legionella flushing, fire safety checks, emergency light testing to ensure the safety and welfare of members of the public and the team.
- Undertake the routine inspections of the premises, fixtures, fittings, utility meters, and grounds.
- To assist the Collections Manager and Curator with the care of collection including the development and implementation of integrated pest management and museum housekeeping schedules, improving the storage and display of the museum collection and object research.
- Work alongside the Head Gardener as required and develop an understanding of the wider estate Planned Preventative Maintenance system and gardening equipment.
- To undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required as part of the David Livingstone Birthplace team.
- Work towards gaining a good understanding of historic building maintenance and the museum sector including undertake and complete the SVQ in Museums and Practice.
This job description is intended only as a guide to the range of duties involved. The successful candidate will need to be flexible and adaptable to respond to other duties that may be required from time to time and the changes and developments within the Museum.
We are looking for an enthusiastic self-starter who is happy to work on their own but also as part of a team. Someone who is interested in all areas of general building and ground maintenance with a passion for learning new skills.
Some experience or interest in this area would be an advantage but not essential.
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 noon on 13th December 2021
Any questions prior to closing date should be directed to email@example.com.
Visit our Careers section for other current opportunities.