Social Media Volunteer
Following a four-year refurbishment, we opened our brand-new museum exhibition, shop, and café in July 2021. This is an exciting time to join us as we welcome visitors into the new museum for the 2022 season.
We are looking for two enthusiastic social media volunteers to join our team. This is a vital role in supporting the museum and promoting our values and activities to the wider public online. It is also an opportunity to explore your creativity, share ideas, and collaborate with the DLB team. We want to promote different perspectives around the Livingstone story, be transparent about our work, and engage with our visitors.
Full training will be provided, and volunteers will be able to claim reimbursement for travel.
David Livingstone Birthplace, 165 Station Road, Blantyre, G72 9BY.
- Basic knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and current social media trends.
- The ability to think creatively about social media content.
- Good written and oral communication skills, and the ability to engage with a wide range of people.
- Confident with a positive attitude.
- An interest in David Livingstone’s story and the recontextualised museum collection and interpretation.
- An ability to engage with challenging topics such as colonial history, Scotland’s involvement in the slave trade and British imperialism and the ways that these issues still impact Scotland’s culture and economy.
Time and Level of Commitment
Our social media volunteers would be invited to volunteer for one half-day per week, preferably on Monday or Thursday. This role would be delivered in-person at the David Livingstone Birthplace.
Please contact us if you need the role description in an alternative format or if you require any other adjustments because of a disability in any part of the recruitment process. DLB is committed to making reasonable adjustments and is happy to answer any questions you may have about the recruitment process in order that you can identify any adjustments that may be required.
- Working with our Marketing Officer and wider team to create engaging social media posts and content.
- Research points of interest in our collection for discussion on social media.
- Research and write blog posts for the DLB website.
- Assist with creating monthly reports on social media activities.
- Assist with creating and monitoring social media ads.
The Benefits of Volunteering
- The chance to meet new people and join our community of dedicated volunteers.
- Gaining experience to use on your CV.
- The opportunity to put existing skills into practice and building new skills.
- Receive social media-specific training and support.
- Reimbursement for travel expenses.
- Contributing to the day-to-day operations of the David Livingstone Birthplace.
- Volunteering references.
We encourage applicants from all backgrounds, and welcome applications from those facing barriers to employment, people living with a disability and with additional support needs, people from a BAME background, refugees. and those who identify as LGBTQI+. Previous convictions are not necessarily a barrier to volunteering.
The volunteer recruitment process will involve having an informal chat with the Marketing Officer and completing a formal induction into the voluntary role.
To register interest and for further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please state in your email why you would like to volunteer at DLB and any relevant experience or interests.
Also see Volunteers section.